Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I Have to Kiss HOW Many Frogs?!?

"I'd kiss 1,000 frogs if I could catch one prince..."

My friend H is also going through a divorce, and this is what she recently told me. Kissing 1,000 frogs is a lot of frogs to kiss, so many that I wouldn't even know where to begin to find such a large number. Currently, I am only at 19 frogs kissed, and I wonder who number 20 will be, because I've had little luck trying to achieve that benchmark. Perhaps number 20 will be that magical prince, and I can end the kissing spree right then and there. H, on the other hand, got lucky right off the bat, and instead of making it to 1,000, she got to stop at 49, since she did, indeed, find a prince.

My ex-husband and I decided to bring AC to the Disney movie "The Princess and the Frog" over the weekend, as it was AC's first movie, and an experience neither one of us wanted to miss, even though it meant having to share each other's company. In between balancing AC and her Dino Combo on my lap, the movie gave me plenty of time to think.

Does it REALLY take kissing that many frogs to score a prince? What if I am already a princess? Do I still have to kiss frogs, trying to find that elusive prince? Shouldn't he just appear? Why do movie frogs have disgusting, mafia-like Italian accents? Why are frogs so slimy--or, as they insisted in the movie, "It is mucus!", which I am really not sure is any better than slime?

AC lost her patience about one hour into the movie, so I have no idea how the movie ends, but I bet I can guess: I bet Princess Tiana and her frog, Prince Naveen, eventually kiss, discover that they no longer need to aim for 1,000 kisses to catch one good prince, and they live happily ever after, forever and ever. Isn't that the way it always goes, at least in Disney movies? Perhaps I should make my own anti-Disney movie, where after kissing 1,000 frogs to find her one prince, the princess discovers that number 1,000 is no better than the other 999, and it ends in a difficult divorce with child custody and alimony issues. Now that would be a touch more realistic.

Alas, it got me wondering...when will my frog prince comes? I sure hope it's closer to 20 than it is to 1,000.

2 comments:

  1. Just think, when you find your prince, you get more than 1,000 kisses with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think kissing frogs is better than kissing toads. I'm sure I'm over my 1,000 limit . . . but I've at least learned to use hugs to determine the toads (with absolutely NO potential) from the frogs (who might possibly maybe have a smidge of potential if groomed accordingly) . . . and I'm hoping after finding a frog to kiss he might actually turn into a prince. What a long, obnoxious, back-breaking, tiring process. Gah.

    ReplyDelete